Saturday, August 8, 2009

It's Time For A Change

It's 3:17am...and I can't sleep. I am an insomniac in the very worst way. I've tried sleep aids...both natural and prescription. I've tried cutting out caffeine. I've tried everything, but I still can't sleep. I don't think I've gotten to sleep before 2 am in at LEAST 6 months. But still up early with the boys!! So I think it's time for a change.

I've been up thinking for hours. I'm thirty years old. Yes, that's right, folks, the big 3-0. I can remember back in my early teens when thirty seemed SO old. :) And here I am.

I have two kids, two dogs, four cats, and two fosters. I have my husband. I have a house (aka mortgage/money pit), two cars...I have insurance and escrow and health/life insurance. I have all these things that I used to think only OLD people had. But I don't really feel old. Inside, I still feel like a kid. I consult my mom for everything...when the kids are sick, I call my mom. When I'm sick, I call my mom. When I am making a recipe, I call my mom. When I need any kind of info, I call my mom. I am, at heart, a child. I enjoy coloring with Dalton. I like having cuddle fests, tickle fest, movie/popcorn fests.

My body says otherwise. I have lost all my pregnancy weight...if you go by weight, I am down to my pre-pregnancy weight. But my body is so different. My belly is big and flabby (I still look pregnant), my thighs are HUGE, my hips are in another stratosphere. Guess that's what happens when you have kids. I am so out of shape.

And let's not forget that I have been smoking for twelve years. TWELVE!! What in the world made me start this nasty, smelly, expensive habit, I'll never know. Oh, wait...I think it was peer pressure. But I digress.

It's time to start a new routine. I hope that my new routine will help me not only become healthier, but save money, and help me sleep! I've been "working out" regularly on Wii Fit. And it really is good...by the end, I am sweating buckets and tired and out of breath. But I need something more.

I'm going to start jogging again. I jogged years ago..and the furthest I ever got was jogging two miles I think. And it was all in air conditioning on a treadmill or at the indoor track at the Wal-Mart Fitness Center. I'm going to start jogging again, only outside, on pavement. (I am so clutzy though that I worry I will have a lot of scraped knees in my future). I think I'll jog in the late evening, not only because it's cooler, but because Chris will be home to keep the boys. Unless I want to spend a fortune on a double jogging stroller, that's my only option. That, or getting up at 5:00 to do it before Chris goes to work, and since now it is 3:26 am and I'm still wide awake, I don't think that's going to work so well.

I need a jogging partner. Someone to keep me motivated, and keep me company, and to hold me accountable for what I'm doing. Someone that will also depend on me to keep them going. Preferably someone who is also just starting to jog, so that I don't slow them down, when on the first jog I have to stop after 20 feet to catch my breath. :)

I'm also going to quit smoking. I have a quit date set (which I am not telling anyone, because it's seems when I blurt it out, I fail...).

Now that I'm THIRTY and SO SO SO OLD (ha!) it's time for a change, time for a healthier lifestyle, time to start doing what I should have been doing all along. And hopefully, I will be so tired after running that I'll be able to sleep (man, I really hope so).

So if you live in my neck of the woods and want to jog with me, let me know!! We can do it together!

1 comment:

  1. Nancy, I hope this works for you. I have two comments; First, a suggestion, you might think about jogging on the high school track since it's so close to you. It would be easier on your joints than asphalt or concrete. Also, you would not have to worry about traffic and bad drivers around you. (Of course it would also be less interesting since you'd just be going around in an oval with not much to look at.) Second, You think you are feeling old now at 30, wait until you get to be 60!! (Not that Jil or I know anyone that old.) Good luck with both your goals, Dennis.

    ReplyDelete