Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Oh, The Ecstasy

As the boys are feeling better, my body has given in to exhaustion. And for two days, I have pretty much sat on my hiney, just watching the boys get better, and enjoying their laughs and the way they play together. As a result, my house has become a national disaster. I keep waiting for the National Guard or Red Cross to make an appearance and declare it...

So I sat today, thinking about how much I didn't want to start cleaning, and wondered... Is there something around here that needs to be done, but in doing it would also be fun for the kids? And then I had my answer. Jackson was taking his afternoon nap, and Dalton was vegging in front of cartoons.

When you take this...

And do this...

What do you get? I mean, what do you get other than three huge blisters on your hands, and a questionable lump on your head from smacking yourself with a rake?

Well, you take a certain four year old, and lead him out of the house, with his eyes closed. He's already excited because he's been told to keep his eyes shut, and that means there is a surprise.

And then you say... "Okay, Dalton, open your eyes." And you get one supremely, ecstatic four year old!

Who then proceeds to do this...
And this...
And this!
And he's basking in the sunlight because he's been stuck in the house sick for ten days.
What must it be like to be four years old, and so happy to just have leaves to jump in. Is it heavenly?
Is it just the most wonderful thing in the world, like Christmas and your birthday and getting a new brother all wrapped into one?
So I told him that if he threw all the leaves around, he'd have to help rake them up. So he did...and if you notice the progression of the next three photos, and the position of the rake, apparently you rake leaves by swinging it like an ax.
So then we went in, and Dalton informs me that he doesn't need a nap, but he proceeds to fall asleep on the couch anyway. So I take advantage of that time to do a little cleaning before Daddy comes home. And when he does? Well, we wake Jackson up, and go outside to enjoy the leaves some more!!
And it just wouldn't be a fulfilling first-time-in-leaves experience for Jackson if he didn't get buried.
And of course I had to join in the leaf jumping. The landing wasn't quite as soft as I remembered it.
But the love was better!!
And Dalton thought so, too.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a great day, Nancy!! So glad the boys are doing better.
    Grandpa Bane

    ReplyDelete