Thursday, January 22, 2009

Productivity

It's been a productive week or two!! I did go back to work for a couple of days this week to train a couple of people that just started in my old department. I didn't particularly want to, but we desperately need the money. And it meant leaving the boys with a sitter for two whole days. So by the time I got home in the evening and we got dinner on the table, there was hardly any time to spend with the kids, which just reinforced the fact that staying home with them is absolutely what I want and need to do.


So in addition to working a couple of days, I helped Chris bottle his beer over the weekend. His newest batch is a dark chocolate beer with vanilla, and of course he kept saying "Come smell this!!" and then when I did, all I smelled was, well, beer. I didn't smell any chocolate or vanilla, just beer.

We borrowed a bottle capper thing (I have no idea what it's actually called) from a friend. We have one, but it isn't that great and was hard to use. So we borrow one, which of course I can't use at all. That thing took some serious muscle to actually get it to seal the cap to the bottle, which of course Chris had to show off while doing.


Isn't he cute pretending like it's hard for him, too? Apparently, I'm just weak! Chris also labeled all the beer bottles, which he hasn't been doing in the past too much. His dad (shout out, Dennis!!) got him a subscription to an online label production website sort of thing, for Christmas, so of course he had to create his labels and get them all on there.


So that's the finished product!! It will all sit in the cupboard for a few weeks to carbonate, and then it will be ready. Funny, I think it will be ready to open on Super Bowl Sunday!!

Something else we got done this week was re-upholstering Dalton's little stool. Well, my stool. Whatever. My dad made me this stool when I was four years old, and after Dalton started walking we replaced the fabric on it to be more kid friendly. It's even inscribed on the bottom of it.

So we replaced the fabric with this super cute jungle animal theme when Dalton was itty bitty. Then Dalton had one of his famous "incidents" and the fabric was pretty much ruined.



Do you see how it looks all greasy and gross in the middle? This was from the "incident". So over the weekend Dalton and I went to pick out new fabric, and got some new batting, and fixed it right up. With race car fabric, of course!!



So, I would bet money that you are wondering what kind of "incident" Dalton had to make the stool so gross and nasty...I bet you're thinking that maybe he spilled food on it. Or maybe he dropped a drink on it. Oh, no. If only it were that simple!!

Chris's dad and step-mom came to visit at the beginning of December. Of course we opened all our Christmas presents while they were here. They live in California, and here we are with a new baby, so we won't make it out there. One of Dalton's Christmas presents was a bottle of blueberry soap. It's smelled delicious. I really could have eaten it right then and there (even though I don't like blueberries!). Our visit with them ended too fast, as usual, and they went home. A few nights later, Dalton had gone to bed and came out around 10:30 pm. His pajamas are unzipped and he says:

"I can't zip my pajamas up."
Me: "Why did you unzip them?"
Him: "Because they're wet."
Me: "Did you go potty in your jammies?"
Him: "Nope."

So he comes over, and I'm feeling his jammies, and of course they're wet, just like he said. But then I smell something. Something good.

Me: "Dalton, why do you smell so good?"
Him: "I didn't do nothing!" As he starts to back away from me.


Well, let's just see exactly what he "didn't do".


In his room, he had dumped the entire bottle of blueberry soap. All over the carpet, all over his stool, and on some of the toys.


It probably wouldn't have been so bad if he had just dumped it in one spot, but of course it trailed all over the room!!


I knew that if we left it, it would stain the carpet with no hope of ever coming out, so we proceeded, for the next three hours, to clean the carpet. We have a small spot cleaning machine, which we started out with. But the water reservoir isn't very big, and boy, howdy, does that soap bubble up a lot! We were having to run and clean out the water reservoir every two minutes, so we ended up just dumping water on the spots to keep them from drying and then sucking it all up with the shop vac. Of course, at one point, Dalton informed us that the clean up was "taking forever". Hmmm...you don't say!!





So that is why the fabric was all nasty!

1 comment:

  1. We're posting this without a name so we'll remain anonymous. SORRY WE GAVE DALTON THE SOAP. Oops, guess we're not anonymous anymore! Oh well, great story Nancy. Tell Chris to save us each one of his new beers.

    ReplyDelete