Thursday, July 2, 2009

When Chris's parents were here from Cali, we also went to the Pea Ridge National Military Park. I've been there before, when I was a kid, but let's face it...when you're a kid, unless your passion is History or War, you just don't pay that much attention, so I don't really remember much about it. But it really was so very cool! And let me also give credit where it's due...I can't take credit for the majority of these pictures. Chris took almost all of them that day, and he did a fantastic job.

Here's Grandpa and Dalton looking at a cannon that's right out front. Someone needs to tell my child that you don't put your face in front of a cannon...oh, wait, I guess that's my job.


In the back of the building, you can walk out on this patio that is just this huge open plain, and you can see cannons in the distance that are still sitting where they were during the war. Here's me, Chris, and Dalton, posing for the paparazzi.


Chris, Grandpa, and Dalton walked a short trail (150 yards or so) to this lookout point while Grandma and I stayed in the car with Jackson. They have this neat driving tour you can take and there's several stops along the way, with signs posted about what went on at each stop along the trail.


Dalton with the cannon again. He loved them!


Chris really is a good photographer...there's a lot of authentic items throughout the building, like this hat.


And this is actually a, what do you call them, diorama? Is that right? Kind of like a shadow box with these figurines in it...the way Chris took the picture it almost looks real...


Jackson just kind of chilled through the whole thing, and slept a little bit. Of course, here he is, making sleepy eyes and flirting.


I love this picture of Gma and Gpa, Chris and Dalton. Look at the face on Grandma. :) HA! Jil, you always have the best face in pictures!!


This is the sign marking the Trail of Tears. (Well, obviously!)


Grandpa played chauffeur for us when we went on the driving tour.


This is at the lookout point that I mentioned above.


These are a line of cannons in the field. These cannons are everywhere along the trail/tour, along with these split rail fences, too. We were discussing the fences and we came to the conclusion that they probably served as barriers for some protection or something to that effect.

We really had a great time and it was so interesting. I hated history when I was in school; it was, I think, my least favorite subject. It was nice learning about it at this point, now that I'm all grown up and mature and all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment